Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Sobi's Mystic - MsTiLii Movie Review

.


Sypnosis
A womaniser who is used to getting his way with any woman he so desires is taken aback when after a night of passion with an enigmatic woman from a nightclub, he is kicked out of her hotel room, without even a phone number. After tracking her down he begins to slowly unravel the mystery behind her character.
 .
Starring:  Bolaji Ogunmola; Kunle Remi, Mofe Duncan and Emem Ufot
 .
Director: Biodun Stephen
 .
Producer: Biodun Stephen
 .
Theme: Romance / Suspense
 .
Year: 2017
 .
MsTiLii Review:
This movie is about a playboy Sobi (played by Kunle Remi) who gets away with all the ladies but this time he meets his match in Mystic (played by Bolaji Ogunmola), which completely throws him off his “A" game.  After their first sexual encounter Sobi is hooked but Mystic was not Impressed with Sobi’s prowess and kicks him out of their hotel room. I guess that musta hurt his lil ego a lil bit, but what intrigued him most about this mystery lady was not just about the sex, but more so, the whole mystery about her, and with men you know the more mysterious you are the more they chase.  Unlike the other girls Sobi had dated, this one was not only beautiful, she was confident, great sense of humour, interesting and quite secretive of who she was. She couldn’t even be found on social media–(now that’s rare, or is her name really Mystic?? – watch and find out).
 .
Slowly the story unravels about Mysterious Mystic. As I watched the movie and  saw how hooked Sobi was on Mystic, I was saying to myself “gosh” Biodun now you are giving away all our (women) secrets  - kinda like Vivica Fox did in the movie Two Can Play that game.
 .
Characters:
All the characters played their role very well including Mystic (played by Bolaji the lead actress) whom I’d never seen before in any movies, so this being my first. I must say I was very impressed. She did an excellent job with her split personalities/characters in the different scenes and I will also say kudos to the custom crew cos it was quite hard to believe the two different characters were the same woman. Very well done. Kunle did great in this movie too - you could really feel his emotions and how helpless he felt (just as he did well in Tiwas Baggage, however Kunle is my new guy, but I don’t want him to be pigeon holed to only romantic character, because I think he is a real promising actor and with some more challenging scripts we can see his range. 
.
After Cougars, Tiwas Baggage, and now Sobi’s Mystic, I wish for him to select a role completely out of his comfort zone that will challenge him to something he's never played before– no more romantic roles for now. (Or maybe that is just Tilii not wanting to see him continuously play tonsil tennis with his co stars cos she jealous 😊 – no that’s not true, its not even like that. I mean it 😊). I already have an imaginary script in my head for him – something totally different. He is a very good actor  and I just see him rising from here (definitely what you'd call an "IT" factor). I see he works well with Bioduns direction - i just wish in future Biodun writes something new and different for him so we see his range. 

Mofe Duncan did well too - and i see he also, like Kunle, works well with Biodun as he so did in "Ovy's Voice".
 .
Emem Ufot who plays Sobi’s business partner and friend cracked me up throughout the movie with all his funny comments. I damn near fell out of chair when Sobi was brooding around their office like a lost puppy, when he had totally fallen In love with Mystery lady, but things were not going his way, His friend teasing him said to him “you???? Yoruba demon? Na lie. 😊 . Emem is a real funny dude.
 .
I also liked the music in the different club scenes but the one that stood out the most to me was Erin Hebrews song “Hold On” – this song was in the scene where Sobi was in so deep in thought and by himself in the club, and for the first time was not paying attention to any other lady (obviously thinking about Mystic). You could feel his emotion in this scene and the lyrics to this song (performed by Erin Hebrews) was very appropriate for the scene.
 .
MsTilii's Constructive Critique:
I loved this movie from beginning to the end, but the one lil critique I have is for the last scene of the movie. When Mystic came to Sobi’s office to reintroduce herself to him, I felt since they had already had previous acquaintance in her home, and Kunle had now the other side of her, there was no need to repeat that in the last scene. I mean I understood they were starting from scratch, but I would rather, Mystic surprise Sobi in his office, he sees her, they run to each others arms and kiss kinda thing. I wanted the romantic "awwwwwww" moment, but i didnt get it. I don’t know – maybe that’s just me, but I didn’t really feel last 5 mins of the movie
 .
Conclusion:
This is not your usual predictable Nollywood movie because everything I predicted 20 mins into the movie – was not how it ended. I was completely way off on my prediction (which I must admit is rare, after-all, c'mon, most Nollywood movies are predictable). Biodun Stephen did an excellent job with the script writing to this movie and really thought out of the box for this one. Her direction was on point and I was glued to the movie from beginning to end and till date have watched it 2 or 3 more times (well  😊 you know). This is the 3rd of Biodun Stephens production I have watched including Tiwa’s Baggage and Ovys Voice and I must say, I am very impressed with her work.  I now look forward to every movie she releases from here on.
 .
If you have not seen this movie yet (since its release this August 2017), then you are doing yourself an injustice, gather your girl/guy friends and what not, pop some corn, gather your floor pillows and enjoy this movie. I promise you, you will love it. But keep ya eyes off ma boo 😊. After 18 yrs watching Nollywood movie this is my very first time ever ever, seriously crushing on any actor who has me kinda shook, so please can MsTilii have a moment 😊. Abeg. Biodun, Bolaji, Kunle, Mofe, Emem - weh done mah, weh done sir. 😊 


MsTilii’s Ratings: 8/10
 .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...