Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Miss Tilii 2013 End of Year Movie Awards

.
So after much time dissecting and re-watching all the movies again to make sure my decisions were concrete and final, I now have the list for my 2013 End of Year Awards. I must say this is a much shorter list unlike 2008 Miss Tilii awards,  because personally I feel, there weren't many good movies, or should i say not many enough for me to put in the various categories as i did in 2008/9.

For these awards i penned together, I actually recognised movies i have actually sat and watched (sometimes twice to make sure i caught everything) .  I am only recognising movies which were released in 2013 that people watched. I am not silly enough to call names of movies yet to be released like some 419 Movie Awards shows do - example (Ghana Movie Awards did mentioning Northern Affair in their many categories when the movie is yet to be watched by the masses. The movie was premiered a week before the awards - so unless one attended the premiere, no one has seen it yet. #GoFigure) 
.
In 2013 I immersed myself in not just english movies but igbo movies as well. As you all well know my favourite movie themes in nollywood is the traditional village set movies (NOT the "Coming To America" Royal Hooplas - I HATE THOSE, I mean how many royal theme stories can you tell??? its boring!!!), because i feel they acting is more real and less pretense (no fake slangs and what not).
.
The list below is my own selection (as the title states "MsTilii's), you don't have to agree with me. We can agree to disagree. 
.
This Year my policy is absolute zero tolerance for mediocre movies. I know that has been my policy from the beginning but this year I am even more strict than before. Go hard or Go Home. If you are not giving me or the audience top notch perfection with top notch excellent script and acting all through and through, I am sorry to say, I will call you out. I am extremely sick and tired of all the mediocre movies and acting. I am so tired. 
.
Bear in Mind, that my ONLY favourite movies for 2013 were 4 movies, as I have listed below. I would not consider any other movie, my best. So my choice all year in 2013 were only 4 movies - Thats It. I didnt miss anything, I watched all the movies that came out (some overhyped before released), and I have nothing to say about it. #TheyWereNotGoodEnough!!!!!
.
.
Miss Tilii 2013 End of Year Recognitions (Awards)
.
.
BEST MOVIE 2013 
  • The Meeting (starring: RIta Dominic etc)
  • The Contract (starring: Yvonne Okoro etc)
  • Family War (starring: Bob Manuel Odukwu, Chioma Akpotha and & Ebere Okaro)
  • Family Man (starring: Mike Ezerounye, Uche Elendu, Oge Okoye etc)
.
WORST MOVIE 2013 
  • To many to list
.
BEST ACTRESS 2013 
  • Rita Dominic. (movie: THE MEETING)
.
BEST ACTOR 2013 
  • Uche Udoputa (movie: BROTHERS WAR )
.
BEST BREAKTHROUGH "NEW" ACTRESS 2013 
  • Tamara Etiemo. (movie: DESPERATE HOUSE-GIRLS)
.
BEST BREAKTHROUGH "NEW" ACTRESS 2013 (Igbo Movies)
  • Chizzy Alichi (movie: UDARAUGO/OBINWA )
(with great direction, she could shine in english movies too)
.
BEST BREAKTHROUGH "NEW" ACTOR 2013
  • None!!!
.
MOST IMPROVED ACTRESS IN 2013
  • ChaCha Eke (movie: TEARS OF MERCY; OR RESTFUL SOUL)
  • Eve Esin (movie: SAVE MY SOUL OR BEFORE THE KING/KINGS OFFER )
  • Eniola Badmus (movie: VOICE OF A MOTHER )
  • Nuella Njubigbo (movie: STUBBORN HE GOAT / MY UNCLES PICTURE )
  • Mary Remmy (movie: SCARLET WOMAN)
  • Rachael Okonkow (movie: UDARAUGO/OBINWA )
.
MOST IMPROVED ACTOR IN 2013
  • Ken Erics (movie: THE ILLITERATE)
.
BEST BREAKTHROUGH "YOUNG" ACTRESS OF 2013
  • Eki Okoro (movie: LIVING NIGHTMARE OR VOICE OF A MOTHER )
  • Chinenye Nnebe (movie: LIVING NIGHTMARE OR VOICE OF A MOTHER)
  • Echelon Mbadiwe (movie: LIVING NIGHTMARE OR VOICE OF A MOTHER )
.
UPCOMING ACTRESS WITH THE GREATEST POTENTIAL (2013)
  • Chizzy Alichi (movie: UDARAUGO/OBINWA )
  • Mary Lazarus (movie: DESPERATE HOUSE-GIRLS)
.
UPCOMING ACTOR WITH THE BEST POTENTIAL (2013)
  • Blossom Chukwujekwu (movie: FINDING MERCY)

.
The below category in 2009 i use to call it Worst Actor/Worst Actress, but I decided to change the title to tone it down a notch, constructively :) :LOL - basically if you look on my blog, on the left hand panel, on the list i called "DRIVE BY" - everyone on that list should all be on the below list, however the few names i have mentioned below are an emergency.
.
ACTRESS NEEDING AN EMERGENCY INTENSIVE ACTING COURSE
  • Chika Ike (movie: in EVERY damn movie)
  • Rukky Sanda (movie: in EVERY damn movie)
  • Monalisa Chinda (movie: Weekend Getaway)
.
ACTOR NEEDING AN EMERGENCY INTENSIVE ACTING COURSE
  • Morris Sesay 
(words cannot describe this gentleman's atrocious acting, most of the time, like Rukky Sanda, he chooses to star in movies he co finance/produce, and them starring in their own movie, Effs up the whole damn movie)
.

What I expect in 2014/2015

In 2014/2015 I expect better scripted movies than the previous years,  better directed movies, sensible titles and movies made in one part only not 4 parts. I expect a complete boycott of ALL mediocre movies.  I expect more of our african movies to be of such good substance and quality that it makes it to international film festivals not one or two movies but 10s and 20s. 
.
I expect the FFR  Babes (aka Fcuk For Roles Actresses aka mediocre actresses) to stay off our movie screens and away from every movie location and allow the real talent to audition. 20 inch weave, some hazel contacts and fake acquires accents is just not gonna cut it. Keep it moving. :) and stop wasting the audience's time.
.
I expect some veterans actors/actresses who have been in the game for at least 10yrs and still not giving us great performances to consider taking some time off, and investing in some acting school to polish their skills. Kenyan actress Lupita Nyong'o (Hollywood new IT girl) invested in Yale and see where she is now. Her money was not spent on cars, weaves, bags and red bottom shoes to pose on red carpet etc etc. She actually invested well into attending an acting school and it paid off. 
.
I expect to see more good traditional movies - english or non english and I expect improved subtitles.  I wanna go back to the good ole days eg Tchidi Chikere Blood Sisters, All my Life etc those type of scripts. 
.
I expect my two most anticipated movies Lions of 76 and Half of a Yellow Sun to be released so we can all watch it. 
.
I expect to see more new male actors in the scene, who have phenomenal acting skills or potential. Have the looks, the eloquence and great acting skills to match. 
.
I have hope in Artus Frank to improve on his delivery skills. To me he is not as bad an actor as Leila Djansi said - he has grown over time, but still not there yet. He is not my favourite but he knows how to pull you into his character and make it believable, excerpt sometimes its hard for me to understand when he speaks. His pronunciation of words seem a lil off sometimes. It simply has to do with accents and am sure he can work on it. He still hasnt  had one specific breakthrough memorable movie yet. However I saw him in a few village movies in 2013 and he did "good".
.
Finally I expect this new actress called Adunni Ade (up and coming) i just found on youtube to break out into the Nollywood scene. She has a lot of potential. She can act in yoruba as well as english movies . I hope Funke Akindele can cast her in her new Jenifa Series. I will write a piece on her later this month.   

1 comment:

bestting said...

The long awaited list. Thank you Miss TILII. This write up was too funny and I agree with you in every sense of the way especially with the Rita recognition. She's my fav actress

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...