Friday, April 20, 2012

SHINING THE LIGHT ON GHANA AKAN / TWI MOVIES

As an Ashanti, I dont think i shine the light enough on our Akan (Local) Movies in Ghana even though they are doing an excellent job. For many years i shied away from it because the story lines were just annoying and I use to say "Oh Cmon how many witch craft of juju movies can you make" - but in the past 2 years i realise they are definitely a force to be reckoned with now and not to be by passed at all. Their story lines have really improved especially the dramas & suspense (not the comedic or witchcraft ones- I cannot stand the witchcraft ones-its so annoying).
.
I have now noticed that majority of the Akan actors and actresses are 100% better yet very underrated and from now on, i am taking it upon myself to shine the light on them. This is way overdue. 
.
I just stayed up till 3am last nite, watching a movie titled "ATTA SAMAN" and I must say this movie by far is one of the best movies i have seen in a long long time for an Akan movie and i only wish the producers will go back and subtitle it well so the non-akan speaking audience can enjoy it too. ATTA SAMAN" (in translation it means - the ghost of ATTA - the name ATTA means "twin" in Akan language - and No! this movie is not all about Ghost).
.
I have always said local movies in both Ghana and Nigeria (e.g. Yoruba movies) ALWAYS seem to have a better story line. Why is that? Is it because the actors and actresses are able to perform better and let the story shine when acting in their own local dialect? And if so why not maybe do more of such movies with confidence that nonetheless it will still make international film festival. Subtitled Francophone countries in Africa always make it to Sundance Nominations and awards. Oscars have a foreign movie category and European subtitled movies always make that list during Oscars and win awards. I personally think we should put a lot more effort in our local movies, SUBTITLE IT VERY WELL and the sky is the limit for us, rather than spend so much time in English movies of which 3/4 end up being crap cos the actors and actresses are not even eloquent enough to articulate their lines - coupled with a crap script.
.
I have also noticed For the Akan movies (unlike the Ghana English movies produced by ppl i don't even deem credible except Shirley Frimpong manso and Leila Djansi - only a non ghanaian will name ridiculous movie titles such as Beyonce, Tyra, Rihanna, eg.) - these good akan movie drama always have a moral to the story, example the ones starring Apostle John Prah (real life pastor). If they subtitled these movies well, from beginning to end, I guarantee you they will outsell the many of the English movies.
.
I will come back and write in detail what prompted me to start this thread. I already did a write up a lil bit HERE  and HERE last year about Akan movies.
.
Granted Agya Koo is the most well known because of his comedic streaks in the Akan movies, but I am here to say Bill Asamoah IS THE BEST ACTOR in the Akan movie industry - Because of Bill Asamoah i am going to create my own Akan Movie Awards cos he deserves plenty. If you understand the Twi language - then please search high and low for this 2012 new release movie called "ATTA SAMAN" you will be absolutely blown away by his performance, as well as he co star Vivian Jill. I am looking for the Movie Jacket to post in a new thread and review this movie in detail which i rate 9.8/10. I wll tell you in detail why you lost 2 points when I review the movie in detail. right now am searching for a large size jpeg photo to post in a new thread and review the movie.
.
I am trying to communicate with a point of contact in the industry to speak to someone whom i can interview to give me a lil history background about the industry.
.
I also already voiced my opinion in one of my previous threads here how much i utterly hate the name they call the industry KUMAWOOD. Kumasi is the capital for Ashanti region in ghana - the movies are shot in a vicinity called Adum to be precise. They decided to call the industry Kuma-wood because someone just felt just cos there is Bollywood, Nollywood, damn Ghollywood they will name this industry KUMAWOOD (get it? Kumasi + Wood) - i repeat his is one of the worst name i have ever heard. Tanzania smartly decided to call their movie industry Bongo City - which i think is great, why cant my people also sit down and be creative in their thinking and come up with a better name than Kumawood. The nickname of Kumasi is "Garden City" and i was thinking you coulda simply called the industry "Garden City Movie Industry" - simple.
.
Anyway let me not digress of what this thread is about. From here on I am going to pay extra attention to Akan (Local) Movies - particularly the non comedic ones with excellent story lines like i saw in "ATTA SAMAN".
.
Bill Asamoah (Nana Yaw) I must say, as picky as I am in whom i deem great in acting, You have highly impressed me to the fullest and i commend you 100%  as my ultimate favourite Akan actor. I hope he is being paid every dime of whats he's worth cos he deserves every penny - i hope he negotiates a good amount for movie he does - his fan base is rising (The akan actors and actresses also deserve some endorsement).  Michireser I want to steal one of the "kumasiano terms to describe how fond I am of this guys acting but I don't know what to say. I saw your potential in the movie "I KNOW MY RIGHT" (with Nana Ama)" and you did great in that too, but I think you did an excellent job in this movie "ATTA SAMAN". I will review the movie later and commend the story writer and director too. 
.
Mr Producer please subtitle this movie and re-release this movie again. Its just too excellent for the world not to see. It is currently subtitled but all am saying is it could be a lil better. I just want to recommend this to my non Ghanaian friends who dont understand the language.
.
Shout out to my other Kumasi based Akan actors and actresses Nana Ama McBrown, Apostle Prah, Agya Koo, Akwasi Boadi (Akrobeto), Mercy Asiedu, Naana Hayford, Vivian Jill Lawrence, Honey Frimpong (good actress and great female producer and director), Benny Sowah, Emelia Brobbey, Bridget Adusei (love this chick someone told me, she and I may come from the same town Ejisu/Onwi), Isaac (Ike) Amoako, Clara Amoateng Benson, Kwaku Manu, Nana Osei Kwame Obrempong, Sandra Adu, Sylvester Agyapong (Sly is great), Portia Asare Boateng, Ellen Kyei White, Nana Yaa Appiah, Benedicta Gafah, Bernard Aduse Poku (another great actor) and many more whose names i dont remember - i will add later when i do and lets not forget the akan child actors - they are the best yet - absolutely great. Doing my lil award thing will be so difficult cos honestly 90% of them are so good at what they do, it will be hard but i will try like i did here. I would love to see a nice photo shoot of all these stars so the world can see them. The ladies are beautiful and they  guys are cute.
.
As for Akwasi Boadi (aka Akrobeto) - one of our best comedians, i will do a whole thread just about him later and how much i find him funny - i wish non twi speakers could understand what he saids. He is about the one person who i find so funny that he'll say something and for weeks, i will remember and still laugh till my rib hurts. He is so hilarious, esp when he gets angry and gets into his high pitch speeches. One memorable movie line he said to his pregnant wife whom he couldnt perform on; Well his wife was giving him pressure to have sex and he said's something so funny, but i can't translate it. He saids " Minti mi performi, enti saa diya, Ser wupe wa tinka diya, eni yer, mami en usey minsa - Ser wantinka keke na wupeh?" and his wife responds "Enti wunsa na wudi nyim mi"?. He saids these funny sentences with a straight face, that makes me laugh so hard, in in tears rolling on the the floor". Between  him and Agya Koo you might laugh so hard you wouldn't know what to do. I just love these actors so much. Entertainment to the max. There is this new young guy nicknamed LilWayne but its pronounced "LiWin" (real name is KwadwNkansah ) - he is hilarious. 
.
I will start a new thread soon and put them all in my upcoming "Garden City Movie Awards" which i plan on writing - these will be my own selection of favourite actors/actresses (if i could get head shot photos of all of them to showcase the world it will be even better).
.
Yes you can call it kumawood for all i care -i sure am NOT calling it that. - Garden City Movie Industry/Town - this sounds much better and if not please come up with a better option than kumawood - think outside the box - please. Having "wood" in the name is very un- creative). I am pleading with  you guys to please change the name. Don't let it stick.
.
One lil critique i had is for the great scripted movies was that sometimes they need to work on the sound quality (its either too loud or too low). 
.
For Akan movie audience - in 2012 - I advice you to buy the following movies for keeps ( i promise you - you will not be disappointed (i will make a new and longer list by merging the 2011 movie list with the new 2012 list)
.
- ATTA SAMAN (translation: a twins ghost) - it is subtitled but it coulda been better
My Ratings: 9.8 / 10
.
- HWE WA WAWARIE YIE (translation: take care of your marriage) - it is subtitled
My Ratings: 9 / 10
.
 BAFFOUR (translation: Baffour is just a name) - it is subtitled
My Ratings: 9.5 / 10
.
ps: I hope Valentina (of Afia Schwarzenegger fame) will join the Akan movie group - i think she will fit right in  - she is also a great and funny actress. 


The one other brother I will so love for him to get back to acting ASAP is Nana Kwame Osei Sarpong - who stared in several Shirley Frimpong Manso. He is currently on  hiatus concentrating on his radio gig, but bro man you I want you back on screen so bad. He is excellent in english movies and i don't have a doubt he can easily transition to Akan/Twi movies and star in a few movies if he wanted. I am praying he changes his mind and come back to movies instead of radio. Kwame we want you back on screen, please. 
.
To the new actor called George Berthou, i seen you in one preview ( but not a full movie yet) in an akan/twi movie and i got my eye on your acting. I Hope your acting is just as good as your great looks unlike VV.-  Eish ma nu yi. (LOL) - Good luck bro - I wish you well!.
.
Producers and Directors in the Akan movie industry if you have a great scripted and casted movie and you need me to do free promo on here - am all yours (So far as it doesnt have witchcraft in it - am cool). Just send me a movie jacket and/or a 3min preview / youtube clip.
.
MI MA MU MO

9 comments:

Kase said...

I also see the incredible value of these movies as an American. I blogged about them just a few weeks ago.

http://landofthegoats.blogspot.com/2012/04/gollynolly-wood.html

Lady Adwoa Adwubi said...

Oh Ms-TiLii, you have been missing out on the Twi movies. You might also want to watch "Baffour" with Bill Asamoah and Portia Asare, Vivian Jill Lawrence. Bill Asamoah has done plenty of movies between 2010 until now but the so-called Ghana movie awards didn't even acknowledge him for his great acting in the 2011 Ghana Movie Awards. Instead they gave best actor to Agya Koo but he got the best actor award at the Kumawood awards. I like how you mentioned subtitle very well so we can make it to Sundance. Could you believe that none of the actors made the list for Cannes Film Festival and yet the so-called Ghollywood movie industry picked actors like Van Vicker and Juliet Ibrahim. http://www.ghanamovie.net. Why should this happen? Is it because they forgot about the Akan actors or what? Most of the Akan actors live in Accra. I am glad you are going to acknowledge our Akan actors. Here are some of the Akan movies you might like:Afunumba, Ghana Yonkor, Eno Samanpa, Hwe Waware Yie, Kowa Ne Kowa/Obre Twa Wuo, Oye Adie Yie and Wahala.

Miss T-i-l-i-i (African Movie Reviewer) said...

Sheeee chalay adwoa u are way ahead of me on the twi movies. Where do u live and where do u buy yours. Keep me updated.

Miss T-i-l-i-i (African Movie Reviewer) said...

Whao kase am highly impressed, so u r saying u even watch the non english ghanaian movies too? That's good. You r welcomed to my blog and I checked yours out and like it too. Nice topic on our industry, I see u are a pro.

Lady Adwoa Adwubi said...

I live in Toronto - Canada and there are lots of dealers over here selling the Ghanaians and Nigerian movies.

Lady Adwoa Adwubi said...

DeDe from Area Burger is Nana Yaa Appiah.

diorentein said...

i'm an avid fan of this site, ,i had fun watching movies online. . .thank you. .

Anonymous said...

Miss TiLII,

I assure you that no self respecting Kenyan can read the word "KUMAWOOD" out loud. It's not polite at all. LOL

Anon,

http://sportsfunia.com said...

good work

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...