Friday, April 27, 2012

Re-Branding Africa Through Our Movies



.
I dont know if many of you know this but between now and 2020 there is a new  strong movement of "Re-branding Africa"  to let the world know that the tarnished and bad image of Africa as its been for decades is not always true. Africans don't walk around half-naked, run around with tigers in the jungle nor do we live on trees and walk around like nomads cos we don't have cars. The one thing i always say to people with ignorant perceptions is "We sure don't live on credit, everything you see - unlike y'all, we buy with CASH money and not credit (marinate on that! LOL).
.
I for one, I am launching a new lifestyle blog/site very soon (purchased the domain and all), which will showcase nothing but the finest of Africa and what "THEY (as in the West) don't want you to see. THEY are about to be very surprised. We are moving so fast behind China and India - I have such high hopes for our continent by 2020 (I just pray for good leaders with foresight)
.
Having lived in Europe and USA, I give credit to Europeans (especially UK). When i make my comparisons, I know they are a lil bit more enlightened. But the rest of the world particularly USA, there is not much to be praised. It's sometimes kinda sad to me how  most DO NOT care to learn or know, but rather believe all their media tell them and refuse to leave their lil comfort zones and explore what is out there. 
.
I cannot begin to tell you the dumbest of the dumbest questions, I have been asked about Africa since I been in USA. Oh Yes it is dumb if you ask me do we live on trees and do we drive cars - I just tell it like it is - ITS A DUMB and INSULTING question. Slowly but surely we will enlightened those who want to be enlightened - not those with their noses in the air like africa aint ish.
.
Personally I think one of the best ways to do this will be through our movies - and we have somewhat but the majority of movies don't. This is why i respect the likes of Shirley Frimpong Manso, when it comes to showcasing the life and culture of my country Ghana. She is Ghanaian and understands the culture and customs and clearly proud of it. She uses a lot our African names in her movies, always rotates in shooting her movie in a different part of Ghana (apart from the capital city of Accra) to showcase our landscapes, our buildings, our beautiful highways, and as you all saw in her latest work of Adams Apple Chapter series (we are on chapter 10 now) she doesnt fail to showcase our beautiful Ghanaian produced African style dresses as well as the delicious Ghanaian food we eat, that, leaves you to salivate and am not talking just some Rice dish!  (I mean Shirley even showcases our mouth watering local dishes, being eaten with fingers likes it is suppose to be done, - I mean one can not be more real than that)- and all this kind of stuff remember, creates jobs for others too. I love me some Shirley. Very Smart. I would like to see more and more stuff promoting Africa in our movies, Stuff made by Africans.
.

.
.
.
Shirley will not use nonsense names like Rihanna, Beyonce, Ciara or Tyra in her movies. She has way more sense. Even if its an English movie, in some few scenes let our various languages be spoken and subtitle it like South Africans do with most of their sitcoms and soap-operas. As Africans, we have to patronize our own. F.U.B.U - For us By Us.
.
I think this also tells the world that we dont always have to copy the west in EVERYTHING (as it has mostly been done) - Lets try and be original for once. Pioneers of something.
.
Written By Miss Tilii
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So have you watched Adams apples now? Haaa for me I got two dress styles ooohh from the movie....!

You are right, this lady has set the bar up there. The names are Chidi, Babah, Kukua, Denu, Asey etc...! Come to the dresses, haaaaaaaaaaa watch it from chapter 1 to 9, all involved were changing costumes with at least something Africa....... even the food sometimes was Africanish! How I salivate whenever there was eating.....!

Please watch it it oohhh, you will never regret!

Lulu_Lek

Anonymous said...

Check out this oohhh...Adams Apples Costume Department

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFs0PgOlc5Y

Lule_Lek

Adesuwa said...

Shirley is a genius! I **LOVE** that she uses native names, and she isn't trekking to Texas and Maryland to shoot B.S movies. I love and respect that! You don't wanna talk stupid "If your from Africa, then..." or "Is it true..." questions! Mek I tell you the stupidity wey I don hear, o! MTCHEEEEEEEWWWWW, NONSENSE!

Miss T-i-l-i-i (African Movie Reviewer) said...

anonymous 3:56 thank you for giving me the link to the documentary. I truly appreciate it.

Miss T-i-l-i-i (African Movie Reviewer) said...

adesuwa, yes we do love some shirley dont we LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...