Saturday, February 26, 2011

Finally - My Dreams of Casting ....

... is becoming true. If you frequent this blog you will know one of my favourite wish and dream of all time is to cast for African (or african related) movie. I cringe whenever i watch a movie and the casting is all wrong. I am EXTREMELY PASSIONATE ABOUT CASTING
.
For one thing the character has to be eloquent, articulate, ability to protray *any* emotion and ability to be diverse in acting, and most importantly bringing the character to life. If you are happy, sad, angry, scared, etc etc - Make me -(the audience) feel that part - make me forget am watching a movie. Looks are absolutely secondary to me (though its always a plus) - cos it looks was important to me i'd say V.V was a greatest actor. I dont care for looks - I care for great acting. I am very confident with Gods guidance i can do this - wish me luck.
.
Well, i have been making a lot of noise and practically begging for quite a while to my industry friends, and someone heard me and granted me this wonderful opportunity recently, for their upcoming movie.
.
I read the script, and cannot (and will not) give any detail of the movie whatsoever - because i stand by my word and promise the owners of this movie and to prove my point i also signed a disclosure.
.
Look out in this space in the next few months because I will be announcing casting calls (LA, Atlanta, Ghana, Nigeria). And please dont think its one of these fly by night lacefront wig, fake contacts, fake accenting nollywood-usa collabo Houston/Maryland location type mediocre movies - it will not be!. I dont like those movies and will never put my name or be part of such.
.
Like i said i wont tell you the name or script of the movie, neither will potential actors auditioning be given any advance script to read before appearing before us ("us" - as in "the owner of the movie and myself"). You get the script (just for that character you are to play) - you are given a short while to read it and then you have to act it out spontaneously - no prep time. In Ebonics i will say you have go to "Bring It" and you may only have to 20mins to convince the owners of the movie and myself.
.
What i am willing to do is to give you examples of past movies scenes (Hollywood or African movies) with certain characters - and ask yourselve - can you play that character.
.
So foreinstance i will say. Watch Black Hollywood movie "Set it Off" starring Jada Pinket, Queen Latifah, Kimberly Elise and Vivica Fox and I will ask you to act some of those scene out (like you would with some of scenes in the clip below - scenes from "Set It Off".
.
This movie was by one of my favourite african american director/producer - Gary F Gray (Gary we miss you - when you coming out with another big one). Matter of fact - i will use Set it Off as a yard stick - when it comes to the type of emotions i am looking for in this upcoming movie.
.
The movie I am going to be part of is nothing like "Set it off", but i am looking for the array type of emotions of all 4 women protrayed in Set it Off. And i am watching it again on DVD right now (Mehn, I cant believe this was "Kimberly Elise's" first movie ever - see how convincing she played the timid girl ) - I think she deserves an oscar one day - because by far in Black Hollywood no one is able to protray a series of emotions (no matter what the character calls for) as much as Kimberly does.I love Kimberly.I almost forgot "Set it Off" was her very first movie. Also I almost forget how great an actress Jada is as an actress (she is not just Mrs Smith - she is an excellent actress - her scene when her brother died made me cry with her - without me realising i was even crying - NOW THAT IS WHAT WE CALL GREAT ACTING. )
.
I want my casting to be great - to cast a newbie as great as Kimberly was in "Set It Off (considering it was her first movie ever) or to cast as great as Denzel Washington was able to cast actor Derek Luke in his very first movie "Antoine Fisher". I wont dissapoint at all.
.
Granted the movie will star some "Famous" african faces (i wont mention names) - I am focusing finding one of the lead as well as 6 supporting actor/actress not yet found - and for me to find new talent who has no acting history yet can "Bring it On", will do great for he/she as well as great for my resume too. I am really excited about this great opportunity.
.

.
click here to watch in HD (its more clear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eFdQzNr0pk
.
- You just heard your only brother (and surviving member of your family) has been mistakenly shot and killed by cops - a few weeks before he is about to start college (Act out Jada's emotional scene - how will you act it.)
.
-A bank you have worked for and been dedicated to for years as an employee, just got robbed whilst you were on the job. Management suspect you part of it and call you into a meeting and fire you cos they think you knew the robbers (Act out Vivica's scene -how will you act it)
.
Here below is a screen test with my favourite favourite Hollywood Actress of all time "My Sanaa Lathan" (mm i love me some Sanaa - chei) - Anyway here she is screen testing for the movie "OUT OF TIME" which she eventually acted and starred opposite Denzel Washington. Watch carefully how she screen test.
,


So you see - from the above - its just a method i choose to use in casting - I will think of a particular spectacular movie scene and ask you to act it out spontaneously. As i stated before, for this upcoming movie project - i am looking for some one who is very diverse and can deliver different emotions..
.
If you read this blog you will know, when it comes to acting and impressing me as an audience, LOOKS ARE VERY SECONDARY to Ms Tilii however you have to look the part and as such I have no choice but to ask for photos of folks who want to audition. What am trying to say is dont think you deserve the part cos you are pretty - there are many gorgeous girls in Africa who cant act a lick (can i get an amen). Like i said though having great looks is a bonus/plus, its not my priority, however You have to look the part of the character but I dont cast by looks (i have read the script thoroughly and i know what am looking for - The "IT" factor - its a God given talent either you got it or you dont - no forcing!). Lately many aspire to be actors and thats good, but know its ok if you cannot act, you may have another hidden talent no one can do better than you can. No one can dare call Beyonce a great actress, but thats ok, she is a great singer and performer and thats ok. Some actor/actresses were found accidentally (eg Kimberly Elise was found as she served in a restaurant) others take classes upon classes and still cant get it right. So you see what i mean - the IT factor is a gift given by God - either you got it or you dont. Find it within yourself and be open to constructive criticism.
.
I will bring you further details of what we are looking for - but in short you have to be African or African American between 25 - 35 and this project is for 2011.
.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

go Ms. Tilii!

Anonymous said...

Wooww........Ms- TiLii, good for you! I wish you all the BEST!!!!

Miz B said...

About blooody time! hahahaha! You go Miz Tilli! Nothing do you! Its been a long time coming! Happy for you!

My African Movie Reviews said...

Thanks oooo B, how are you. Chaley - u dont know how happy i am. You were asking about the Tyler Perry photo - well - they didnt nominate him for Colored Girls so to be sacarstic, he did that photos called THE REAL BLACK SWAN to make fun of all the nominations going to The Black Swan. You know he stupid funny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...