Monday, December 20, 2010

FELICIMA (Movie Review)



.
Starring
Genevieve Nnaji as
Yemi Blaq
.
Written By
tba

.
Produced By
.

.
Directed By
.
.
Theme
Drama, Political, Disability, Equality
.
Storyline
A Young and very successful public relations business woman affectionately know as Miss Felicima has it all; Style, confidence, fame, beauty, love and power. Added to this, she is ruthless and precise. These electric combinations make her a star in the business world. An unusual chance encounter with a crippled beggar opens up a whole new world to this woman with intrigue but also seriously devastating consequences. she is the eyes of the rich with opportunity, he, the flag bearer for all those with little or no hope.
.
My Review
The story was a good story with a great message, but I think the director/producer did not utilize Genevieve well in this movie. Genevieve acted excellent as always yet I felt the direction was flat – for one thing I did not like the picture nor sound quality at all – and I think it depends on the camera the director used to shoot this movie. I wish it was a lil more crystal clear (am not a fan of movies with panoramic shots). The disabled man (i forgot his real name - i dashed the movie away so id have to get it back to check the credits) acted well and delivered a great message on how society looks down on disabled people especially in Africa.
.
I hate movies that insult my intelligence – typical example was when Felicima’s house was supposedly burning – I watched that scene thinking “WTF” – you must be kidding me if you think I am going to watch a movie and think that is a burning house - somebody musta told u wrong dude - try again. I would rather you tell me the house burnt than show me a ridiculous scene like that –we are not kids watching these movies – and if you cannot make the scene thats is far from believable - I'd much rather you just leave it alone and don’t insult my intelligence. Other movies that insults the audience intelligence is when one is lying in a hospital from a supposed accident all bandaged up like a ghost – but the one that drives me nuts the most is when names credits are misspelled. It just goes to show the producer or editor of the movie (if any) does not care to check their homework before putting it out there. By now we all know the producers and movie makers who are simply in the for money and dont give a hoot about quality and attention to detail. How can you continuously misspell actors and actresses names?
.
I watched this movie over two days – cos I slept through part 1 and there are several scenes in the movie that just turned me off and I found boring – I had to forward a few scenes. This movie was “good” but I won’t call it a “great” neither would I call it a classic – but it did have a great message.
.
For you to pay a veteran like Genevieve to act in your movie and not have it be a classic – is a big loss to you – not Genevieve. The script, production and direction could have been better – the picture and sound quality could have definitely been better and so could have the acting from the co stars like Lopez and ?? – Nothing spectacular about their acting in this movie. The extra’s made it worse. Though movie extras are simply suppose to be extra’s in the background, I still pay attention to them and sometimes their unrealistic mannerisms and gestures in the background just spoils the movie.

.
more to come
.
My Ratings
6.5/10
.

.

1 comment:

Originalsly said...

FELICIMA is the type of movie that has made so many African movie addicts. It has one of the better casts, the pace is good and dialogue and sequences well thought out.The movie makes us reconsider the stigma we place on a section of the less fortunate in our society and the lengths some will go to keep it that way.This is one of the few movies where I did not fast forward... a breath of fresh air after being buried by the garbage Nollywood has been churning out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...