Monday, January 2, 2012

"I DONT ADVOCATE WATCHING MOVIES ONLINE" esp GREAT MOVIES

The below post was initially posted on October 2010 but i have felt the need to bump it up and reiterate what i said before in answering questions to the few who have emailed me asking me why am i against nollywoodlove or whatever its called.
.
As far as am concerned NL (nollywoodlove) is putting movies online for people to watch for free after he buys off the rights from the movie producers. I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT CONCEPT  (educate inquiring minds) and Who is to blame - i dont know - whether the movie producers selling their rights for quick and chump change or whether is nollywoodloves fault - I dont know.
.
All i know is - aint no way in hell - NL can convince me this venture of his is putting more money in the pockets of the industry as a whole when people are watching movies for free online. Maybe he should explain in detail how this ventures aims to help Nollywood (or himself).
.
So i guess Hollywood should also put all their movies online too for everyone to watch instead of us paying $9.50 to go support it in a cinema or $6 to go borrow it for a few days in Blockbuster.
.
Africans we have a loonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg way to go with "some" of our thinking. Short sighted thinking - with the what will we eat today mentality.
.
My wish for African Movie Industry as a whole is that they completely stop selling the rights to these people. I know the whole deal. You make a movie for $20000 - you turn around and sell the rights to these distributers in US and elsewhere for a quick change of $30000, and you smiling ear to ear cos you feel proud you made a $10000 for a movie you spend $20000. 
.
So when I sit and think and strategize this whole thing, am thinking so who is making the real money here, the actor, the producer or the distributor who bought the rights for cheap. My goal and wish for the industry (the real producers who know what they are about) to make the movie to cinema level - and find their own distribution source which pays them much more profit than what they been getting all these years.
.
I am glad the likes of Kunle, Shirley, Lancelot and the likes are now doing premieres in cinemas - once its run in the cinemas world wide for at least 4 months then the next level is get the movie on DVD (hopefully ONE DVD) and market it and sell it well like HOLLYWOOD DOES - so that you who toiled to make the movie end up making more money for themself and their whole team -
.
I am proud that slowly but surely great movie makers are creating their own distributions (eg RAA) than going thru the Idumuta and whatnot marketers and distributors.
.
My whole thing is the picture to me now is that at the end of the day - lets aim to mazimize profit for the industry as a whole so everybody from the messenger on set to the actor or actresses make more money - We are 20 yrs deep - levels (in terms of money) has to change cos currently SOMETHING DOES NOT ADD UP.  Putting (esp our GREAT) movies on line for others to watch for free - just doesnt sit well with me at all.
.
I am just telling it like it is. To each his own, i dont and will never support such.
.
October 4 2012
I have said it many times on this blog but i will say it again - I DO NOT ADVOCATE WATCHING MOVIES ON LINE, so for those who send me emails and commentary or where a movie can be watched on line- thanks but no thanks. I am definately ahead of the game when it comes to getting hold of new movies and if i am late - i simply wait until my dealer gets it.
.
One of my branding points for this blog is I dont want to contribute to the decrease in revenues for movie makers i support - and thus will NOT promote pirating or watching movies on line. I must admit years ago, i tried it in the past and i got a huge virus on my computer - and that was a lesson. Besides all those eye squinting on lap top and all that ish is not my forte. I enjoy watching my movies on 42HDs.
.
When it comes to movies i deem great - I most definately would not encourage any viewings online (I dont have ish to say about the ones i deem crap - watch it however way you can - all i am saying is dont buy those type crap movies - besides if its crap why do you want to bother watching it anyway - u dont trust my judgement ? :lol:).
.
Yes for the movies i predict to be great, i may post a trailer from Youtube or whatever, but I always encourage you all that - the least you can do to support our producers (GREAT PRODUCERS ONLY - not the crap ones) is to go buy the movie and purchase a couple more for family and friends.
.
As a matter of fact if you really want to know how this year we have experience such slowness in the release of great movies - its because most of the producers are trying to find ways to combat this increase in pirating. C'mon guys - lets support them - the need to break even to repeat producing great movies - If you keep watching on line and not support by purchasing the movies - how else do they break even. I repeat - for great movies -
.
i encourage that if you really want to support the producers and directors and actors - please go buy the movie. For the ones i deem crap - well you go figure - i dont have much to say about those that i havent said already- dont waste your money - dont waste your precious eyes.
.
MISS TILLI ONLY ADVOCATE GREAT MOVIES AND ENCOURAGE EVERYONE BUYS IT - NOT TO WATCH ON LINE. IF A MOVIE IS GREAT I BUY AT LEAST 3 COPIES AND DASH TWO TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
.
I had to come back and add this piece below based on a question someone called NollywoodRave asked me - I decided to respond but i rather answer openly so that all who don't know can read too. 
.
So the question was "How do i even detect a pirated movie". If i dont know any thing else, i know how to detect a pirated movie after 12 yrs deep since i started watching movies.I don't know if this was a trick question but nonetheless i will answer.?
.
Ok, so for a Hollywood movie, how do you detect that movie is pirated???? By that special printed titled movie white label and seal covering all around the the edges of the DVD, right? ok so then thats the same way you detect how an African movie is pirated in USA and once you break that seal and take the DVD out watch this video with Jim Iyke below will teach you how to detect by looking at the actual dvd. Hope this helps
.

.
But i have to say to Jim Iyke after watching his campaign in the second video above which he made 3 yrs ago - Mr Iyke you have contradicted yourself for accepting money (Yes I know yall got $25-$30k - its no news anymore!) from IROKOTV to appear in their promo ad because what irokotv is doing (like i have said a million times) is no better than piracy -
.
Yes irokotv paid $25,000 to buy the rights of the movie - (so all the the money the clueless movie maker made was that much only $25k) but then all hundreds and thousands of dollars proceeds/profits generated over time with all those youtube ads based on the million views is not going to the industry's pocket - if it was going to the industry's pocket based on royalties i will have no problem.
.
Like i said, if Hollywood did what this dude is doing - Hollywood would not be where it is today. NO respectable director / producer should allow their movie they worked hard to produce (eg international film festival level - not the crap type) should succumb to a smirk a smile and a pose just to get $30k. I just tell it like it is.
.
To each his own. I can imagine the kinds that sell their rights off for a quick buck. 
.
SELLING RIGHTS JUST TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK IS SHORT SIGHTED-

11 comments:

alvine90 said...

but where does one get the latest movies here in the us please let us know nah

Anonymous said...

How can I contact you. Nothing on your blog page for contact or email. I believe I have a proposal for an African Review digest in print that you may be interested in. I am a publisher. If interested email me at evwi@ymail.com. I will sedn you my information then. Till then God bless

Anonymous said...

I have no problem buying a movie to support producers. The problem is finding a buyer here in the U.S. I can trust. You have a dealer. I have not. Amazon has very little to offer yet I buy from them because I feel safe. I do not feel comfortable giving my credit card information to a foreign site. I'm beginning to feel these movies were not made to be enjoyed by African Americans since they are so dang hard to get.
Your blog sounds like an ad for a Nollywood company...as if you work for them. Also, How can you tell if a movie is crap without seeing it first?

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well, in Swahili (East African Language) we say..."Good things sell themselves, the bad ones advertise themselves to sell". Having said so, I do not mind buying a good quality African movie for even $10. I will be very much happy to do so.

However, it is so difficult to get good quality movies...here talking of storyline, picture and sound quality, editing etc. So I would rather peruse what is in a movie online before I go and get my legal copy.

Maybe Ms. TiLii, you can help the industry to work with NETFLIX. That will be a good idea too. I watched several movies shot in Africa in Netflix and was wishing the if West and East African English movies could get there too.

Check out "The White Maasai" shot in Kenya and had actors from West Africa too. Excellent movie and is in Netflix!!!! Of course Netflix we subscribe and pay monthly.

Lek_lulu

Miss T-i-l-i-i (African Movie Reviewer) said...

You spoke too soon cos funny enough - two entrepreneurs (US based nigerians) contacted me that they are about to venture into doing a netflicks for nigerian movies and wanted my support.

I am in support tof his venture 100% after i read the business strategy and see how this will maximize the benefit and profits to african movie industry as a whole.

At least this venture is way better than watching movies online for free as Nollywoodlove has his - that to me is absolute nonsense and I WILL NEVER SUPPORT THAT.

And by the way let me reiterate the fact that i only advocate for great movies- i could care less what happens to mediocre or crap movies whether folks who care to torture their eyes watch it online or not.

My advocation is only for movies i deem great classics and quality script and great acting, not the many nonsense they put out on the market.

The few best is whom i am advocating for to encourage them to continue to do a great job for those who care and appreciate them.

This netfliks venture is excellent - cos people in remote areas (North Dakota, Wyoming, South Carolina, Papua New Guinea, Japan etc) whom i get emails from asking where to buy can all rent movies for 2 weeks at a time.

Anonymous said...

I think Nollyhoodlove are listening to you! They came up with another website (irokotv.com) and is for free up to June 2012. Maybe this is an African Netflix oohhh!!!

Let's see, but for sure I hear your cry over Free Movies.........We need to support the industry but yet the industry need to give us good stuff!

Lek_lulu

Adesuwa said...

I like to see a movie before I buy it b/c I'm just NOT about to BUY, i.e., drop dollars on a crappy movie I can't return, real talk. I will absolutely buy a Lancelot, Isong, Chikere, you know, the **REAL** movie-makers' movies, but for some of these no name people, I NEED to know whether my money will be used in vain.
Have you looked, REALLY LOOKED at what movies Nollywoodlove has up on YouTube? Most of them are crap. Do you really think Lancelot is selling his movie "Adesuwa" (my namesake *smiles*) to be watched for free on that guys channel? Let's be serious. Real producers who actually took hard work and talent into their craft aren't going out like that.
Lastly, at the end of the day, Nollywoodlove makes the money. They get money from YouTube(per subscribers, comments and views) and ads. The industry also needs law makers to make laws so that royalties are paid. Have you seen some of the movies that actually say "call the FBI if you see it streaming online"? Whaaa?! Nonsense.

Miss T-i-l-i-i (African Movie Reviewer) said...

the guy is making whole heap more profit than the moviemakers who are so desperate for money they sell their souls (hard work) for just $30-$40,000, but unfortunatley many are too ignorant to know this.

The producer, director, actor actress, messenger etc all loose out at the end of the day.)

They just want their quick turn around money for the (mostlikely a crap) movie they made. And they want it now and too slow to analyse how much NL is making off of them.

Always talking crap about i put money back to the industry - how the hell do you do that - you tell me. You just buy the rights for chump change and all profits made after than on youtube goes into your pocket - lets be real.

ONE OF MY FAVOURITE MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER BASED IN LAGOS CALLED OLUMIDE EMMANUEL ALWAYS SAIDS "COMMON SENSE IS NOT JUST COMMON ANYMORE"

(ps: did you say royalty keh, abeg where in africa is intellectual property taken serious)- its like no one cares.

I will be very shocked if my favourite producers like Vivian, Amatas, Emem, Tchidi, Lancelot, Kunle, etc also join this bandwagon - no respectable movie maker should succumb to such - am just saying though - Why would you want to accept this..

AFRICA ALWAYS TRYING TO TAKE STEPS BACK INSTEAD OF FORWARD, NA WAH OHHH.

i would love a table round debate - face to face. School me - make me understand. Mtschewwww

Anonymous said...

But TiLii, apart from people in US, Canada and maybe Europe, who else has RELIABLE INTERNET CONNECTION to watch movies online?

I suppose apart from making $30-40K, the producers may be making what they consider ENOUGH through other small market sales (though we know piracy is another pandemic)!!!

But again the Swahili say..."Haba na haba hujaza kibaba"..."small things, when combined together make up big things"!!! I am sure even through the whole thing may look like taking a step backward, by the end of the day, I would rather see them even pay back their expenses and get a token amount an profit than having NOTHING at all.

Lek_Lulu

NollywoodRave said...

Let me just ask one simple questio, how do you know the dvds you are buying are not the pirated ones?

Anonymous said...

Fake DVD are colorful (like blue, gold, or purple instead of silver inside

Original movie do not bare the name of DVD brand e.g Maxell etc. Eve though there could be a cover of the movie pic onto, if you hold the DVD up to the light and tilt it to one side. You may be able to see a well known manufacturer's name, then odds are the DVD was a burnable.

You can even try to check the Properties of the DVD or CD in question, and you may be able to see the creation date. If it is very recent, then you know something is not right!

In most cases the fake ones are cheaper tan original movie!

Sad but that is the reality!

Lek_lulu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...