Wednesday, September 1, 2010

YES I 've Watched it All, But its Not Worth Your Dime, Pennie, Pesewa or Your Kobo

Yes, as i mentioned on this blog before, Yes I do watch every single (99.9%) movie that is released on the USA market (and as you all know the movies are redistributed and released here first before anywhere else - with the exception of a few producers who choose not to go that route) - I repeat I watch every single movie - so nothing passes me- (sometimes i get to see it at least a week before it even hit shelves - :wink: :wink:).
.
The only movies i havent seen or watched yet, i have stated in blue font on the right panel and eagerly anticipating them just as much as you are. Anything i have not reviewed, honestly is NOT WORTH YOUR DIME (but please you dont have to take my word for it - this is just MY opinion). You may find it somewhere and watch it but i "advice" you NOT TO BUY IT - save your money for the better movies coming out before the end of the year.
.
So to all the email request asking me to review certain movie titles -yes i have watched it all - painfully i sat through them to make my final judgement, and I love you guys and appreciate you but I am very sorry to say, i can not honour that request. Like i mentioned on this forum before, this blogging, its a hobby i do on a part time basis in the evenings after work, sometimes in the wee hours of the morning when all oyall are asleep, I stay up and squeeze in an hour or so to update if i can, so am sorrry to say I refuse to review junk movies not worth purchasing - i will be doing you injustice. :lol:
.
Dont be deceived by some preview or some glossy hyped movie jacket, am sure they have gotten u many times and even you yourself have known - it was all a hype - so then why do you still keeping shelling out money to buy or torturing your eyes to watch these movies when we already did the torturing for you - watched it and telling you its not worht it. I have been watching movies so long - i can detect not just by the movie jacket and the cast or director that its going to be absolutely rubbish and a waste of time - but after watching the preview - it sums it up pretty well - i got so many pointers of detecting rubbish maybe i should come out with a 101 book to help the new comers to watching african movies (check out my thread of detecting rubbish - its called Crap Alert.
.
And a note to the email i got a few weeks ago and to answer your question - NO i do not like to watch african movies shot in USA with the USA cast. I tried once maybe twice and then i said NO MORE!!!- not all of them are bad but especially the ones usually shot from the tri state area (VA, MD, DC, TX etc u know the kind i mean) with the bombardment of mediocre actresses with lacefronts wigs and blue contacts who think they can blindside me with their pretty faces and fake american accents or i will not be fooled just cos its starring ONE GOOD NOLLYWOOD ACTOR - ONE GOOD ACTOR/TRESSES CAN NOT SAVE A BAD MOVIE full of mediocre actors/tresses- The acting is just preposterous and always so rehearsed and the storylines are poor. The one potentially good one shot in USA with great cast, I am looking forward to watching is ANCHOR BABY with Omoni Oboli and my ghanaian bro man Sam Sarpong - seems like a story line with substance and ofcourse we waiting for IJE with my Genny ofcourse. So with african movies shot here in USA, unless the casting is completely top notch and i know of the director/producer's great resume of work, I would like to stick my true african movies shot in AFRICA - i like that type of familiarity. As we are all abroad to milk knowledge/education to go back home, from time to time, we like to escape from all the wahala and stress and we do this by watching true african movies shot in africa with african accents and all - so lets leave all the hollywood gra gra from the movies shot here and all force force acting on the bench - chei - na wa ohhh). So in answer to your question - those movies never impress me much but to each his own, am sure some might disagree.
.
And YES Miss Tilii reads the book by its cover when it comes to african movies and "almost" always am right. Its like second nature - but you become this vigilant and weary as I am, after many years of being duped and throwing away money - up until 4 yrs ago. I have boxes of junk (VHS, VCDs and all) in my storage and every time i see the wasted money i my heart sinks. Just money down the drain. I guess i will keep em to tell a story of how stupid i was once.
.
My policy on this blog has always been (please read my right panel) - i stick to my guns and never known to ever conform, "I only review movies i deem great and worth the purchase". If in a whole year all we get is 1 great movie then i will review that 1 great movie and nothing else.To each his own. I do plan on having a section in my upcoming website before the end of the year where avid visitors and readers to this blog/website can contribute them selves and review movies i have chosen not to review if they choose to - one mans meat is another mans poison abi? .
.
Like i mentioned previously be VERY EXCITED for the final quarter of the year, all the long awaited movies as i have stated in the right panel in blue font are all being released in the next few months before christmas (from my understanding). Nollywood Hustlers is already out - i will review it in the next few days after i get receive my package, watch it and make my final judgements.
.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Tilli..

abeg...wat is ur thot on the Gollywood movie 'the Game' with Majid and Yvonne...

i culd barely finish d first part and culdn't be bothered with d second...i mean the whole movie was a hot mess and it was directly copied from 'Race' an indian film (and the movie itself did suck...for me tho), and i say this with full authority as a Bollywood addict...

My African Movie Reviews said...

Simply Put - ITS RUBBISH as expected just by looking at the preview. I will not be fooled by some great picture or sound quality. What the hell is the content of the movie - absolutely rubbish - same goes to Trinity - tooo damn dragged blah blah blah - ppl just get blind sided by so many things watching a movie - things i will NOT be - i watch with a keen eye and tell it like it is. SO this is my point exactly I will not review such nonsense movie on my blog. Thus far if a ghanaian movie is not Shirley - wont review it - NO ONE IMPRESSES ME - and especially not VENUS PRODUCTION and their hooplas - i have never spent a dime on their movies and never will until the learn some creativity in script and in directing. Nonetheless - those who dont know will buy it and once they break even they will continue to put out rubbish. Sometimes i blame those who buy these movies, but then again they probably havent stumbled on this blog and Nollys and the several movie review blogs out there to detect whats rubbish and whats not. Just THROWING PRECIOUS MONEY ON RUBBISH USELESS MOVIE -you wont even watch twice.

Anonymous said...

true talk, Miss Tilli...

I thot i was d only one who completely despised the film....the worse part was that a blogger, dared to say that the movie was better than Nollywood Hustlers...and i was like 'WTF'...are you kidding me?!

i mean i haven't watched Nollywood Hustlers 'yet' but i can assure u dat i am giving it a 10/10 over 'the Game' any day...

and i must state that I applaud you for keeping to your standards...so many people i know have lowered theirs or just thrown theirs to the clouds and have settled for 'Rubbish'. oh not me...hell no, i have a photogenic memory when it comes to movies...i don't need 'CRAP!' burned in my memory for a very long time...

Kémi Penélopê said...

Hi Miss Tilli...

I am an ardent follower of your blog – great job on the write-ups I have to comment and for alerting people to crappy Nollywood/Ghanaian movies. Can’t wait to read what you have to say about “Nollywood Hustler” when you get to watch it…

However, I do have a question in regards to Shirley Frimpong-Manso’s movie “Checkmate”? I am very particular about Ghanaian movies I watch/buy because of their explicit content. It took forever to “The Perfect Picture” and “A Sting in a tale”…but, after I did, I wanted to go out and buy every single copy of movies written, directed or produced by Shirley’s …so to cut the long story short, what is your take on “Checkmate”?

Love,

Kemi

Nollywood Forever said...

I have my hands on Nollywood Hustlers! So excited Im gonna see that tomorrow... I hope it is good because CHETA is saying that The Game is better which would be highly disappointing! As for the Game it wasnt all bad I iked the parts with Yvonne Okoro and John Dumelo.

My African Movie Reviews said...

if you do a key search on Checkmate i did review it (i think) - search on the right panel for the key word.

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...