Thursday, July 29, 2010

RECOGNISING OTHER AFRICAN MOVIE INDUSTRIES

If you read this blog quite often, you will notice that i have mentioned in the past i am not just addicted to ghanaian or nigerian movies BUT ADDICTED TO MOVIES PERIOD - movies from all over africa, hollywood, black hollywood etc - movies that dont get recognised as much across the world like HOLLYWOOD does.
.
In Africa my favourite are all the great movies from the ANGLOFONE countries (Ghana, Nigeria etc) and ofcourse I absolutely love the story lines to many of the FRANCOPHONE movies too (so far as its subtitled and i can understand it) - i have watched a lot of francophone movies in my day. If you enjoy movies like I do I suggest you dont simply wait for just Nollywood or Ghanaian movies (ps: as u can see its still hard for me to say the name GHOLLYwood :lol: its so funny).
.
And please dont ever sleep on yoruba movies, cos you will be making a big mistake - I am ghanaian and i dont speak or understand much of any language apart from English and the three ghanaian languages i speak, so if i can watch and enjoy subtitled Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Edo, Francophone etc movies then so can you. Seriously try it and see - you will really enjoy some of these story lines. And for Yoruba i have noticed i am not even paying attention to the subtitles anymore cos they intertwine english so much to the yoruba - you will surely figure out what they are saying. Anything with Funke Akindele i make sure i watch if it is subtitled. I have watched a lot of yoruba movies.
.
I am so glad that other anglophone countries such as Kenya, Sierra Leone etc our entering the market - it gives Ghana and Nigeria More competition and not to slack as much with the quality of scripts, direction etc. I personally feel the more the merrier. Bring it on. May no one pride themselves of being superior or first in the game above anyone, lets support all the other african countries and help them come up. There is room for everybody - may the best win and keep standing (the last may be the first in the long run - no one knows tomorrow).
.
Check out these trailers of movies from other parts of Africa - I havent seen them yet but to me the trailer seems good and I will search hi and lo for it, watch it and review it like i do the rest. If it is good - ofcourse I will market for free. My goal is to get all good african directors recognised by the masses, because they dont have a voice enough nor get recognised enough and i dont feel its fair.
.
Our storylines are sometimes better than Hollywood..
.
SOUTH AFRICAN MOVIE - " WHITE WEDDING"
.
KENYAN MOVIE: "MAROONED"
.
XXXXXXX
.
XXXXXXXXX
.
XXXXXXXXXXX
.
LOOK FOR THESE MOVIES BUY IT AND SUPPORT THEM.
.
.

8 comments:

nat3asha said...

you are so right miss tilli there is a lot going on in other african countries. South afica has a great tv industry however they dont have a great movie industry as nigeria and ghana have. i think the main problem is financing and support and u know us black pple we bootleg so it ends up not paying of for the investors, directors etc...

in zimbabwe they have HIFA thats an arts festival (music, theatre, dance, film, etc..) miss tilli i have been there and the quality of film production blew me away and there was a lot of collaboration with other countries..however a lot of these films etc never see the light of day because of financing...

i dont like going on like this a lot coz im passionate about all things African ...nwei thank for exposing this to us again miss tilli i will certianly have a look!!

Gifty said...

ms. tilli. i've been searching through ur blogs. and i couldn't find a review about "I sing of a well" by Leila Djansi which is arguably the best ghanaian movie.. and have u seen Grass between my lips? also a ghanaian movie.. u can view the trailers on youtube..

btw thanks for the info on other african movies..

My African Movie Reviews said...

Yes natasha thats cos these two titles have still not been distributed widely (at least not here in the states) for us to get a hold of them. I like actress Akorfa Asiedu and Lucky Lawson and i have read great reviews on it but i still have not seen it yet. My dealer doesnt have it. If you watch it let me know where u purchased it from

My African Movie Reviews said...

OOPS Gifty for mistakenly referring to u as Natasha. Sorry.

Gifty said...

yess ooo i've read really great reviews about it..IT had 11 nominations at the African MOvie Academy Awards. I haven't seen it either. and Mrs. Leila Djansi also has this new movie done.. called "sinking sands" STARRING JIMMY JEAN-LOUIS!! (hot guy) the guy in PHAT GIRLS the movie.. wow, i was really surprised to find him in a ghanaian movie!! and the trailer looks amazing!! you can find it on youtube. can't wait till it comes out. it looks very promising.

Gifty said...

lol why is it showing me as natasha?? ha it's me Gifty from the previous comment.

My African Movie Reviews said...

GIFTY
Trailer Sinking Sand has already been posted on this blog few days ago. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I caught White Wedding at a film festival. It was great, funny and the director used the opportunity to showcase some of South Africa's beautiful landscapes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...